It is important to record, because I didn’t last year, that the erstwhile sponsor of this 2nd year event has provided his rules of battle.
Here’s the rules etc for the Mind Twist: It is essentially a Texas scramble with a few twists.
Royal Widney Manor has been chosen for good reason. It suits and supports this flag hunting, exciting, low team scoring format very well indeed.
How it works:
1. Teams are selected via a draw made just prior to first tee off – will be ideally 4 golfers could be 3 versus 4 depending on Pedro.
2. Your team handicap is your total WHV handicaps added up, divided by 4 and them 3/4 of that number – this will be worked out and given to you prior to tee off.
3. All golfers tee off on every hole – in any order decided on by the team.
4. The team select the best drive (maybe longest or maybe best position) and all play second shots from that position.
5. The golfer who hit the shot to that point marks the location with a tee peg and plays first from that point as the ball lays.
6. Other team members place 6 inches around that spot no nearer the hole and play their shots.
7. This is repeated, including for putts, until every hole is completed.
8. When all hitting to the green, the team are under no obligation to select the closest putt, any one can be selected. The selected putt is marked, the player who hit to that point putts first then the others hit putts from that point in an order they chose until the hole is competed.
9. Teams must record their gross and net scores for each hole, totalling overall net score in the usual way.
10. The winning team will have the lowest net score overall and be the Miller Mind twist champions.
1. £5 entry per golfer covers 2 individual £5 prizes for nearest the pin on the 3rd and the 17th.
2. All prize money left will be split amongst the winning team – probably £15 per golfer
3. Prizes courtesy of the sponsor, in addition to the above, will be:
- A beautiful commemorative badge to each winning player to be worn in La Manga at all times
- £5 for every par 4 green hit with a drive (just hit at some point, not held) to be noted by each hole and split amongst the team. This is one £5 per hole per group maximum, even if 2 golfers in a team hit a par 4 green on the same hole.
- £5 for the team split equally for every gross eagle scored
- £1 as above for every gross birdie scored